When we bought our house in May of 2006, we walked through it the night we first got our keys and talked about all of the "little" projects that needed to be done in the house. It has good bones, we told ourselves, and these little projects won't be that big of a deal. HA! Fast forward three years later: new molding, check; new window trim, check; new door jams and doors, check; every square inch painted (interior and exterior), check; new blinds installed, check... oh the list could go on! Our lastest "almost" check off the grand list was redoing the 3/4 master bathroom. I say "almost" because we've only completed phase one. Phase two to be completed once we have two things: time and money! With the many D.I.Y. projects we've done in this house, we've discovered that most projects take twice as much time and money than you originally estimated.
So, since August, Tim has been working away at the bathroom. It started with some nasty demo to tear out lots of tile. Then there was some plumbing that had to be done, a new shower installed, tile floor, and new fixtures. Here are a few pictures to catch up you up.

Demolition begins... we were sad to see the ugly gray tile with blue flowers gone!

The mask was a must, you should have seen the dust flying.

Gray and blue tile - GONE!

There are no words... our bathroom was out of commission for a few weeks.

Our third attempt at a paint color. I think we found a winner! This painting job was done late at night while Ava slept.

Tim's first ever attempt at tiling. We chose a chocolate brown, leather-looking tile. It turned out awesome - Tim did such an amazing job.

New shower and fixtures. We got rid of the shower door and opted for a shower curtain. I never want to clean a shower door again!

The finished tile floor.

New framed mirror and molding.
Phase two, as you can see, will be the counter top, sink, and cabinets. We're planning to go white with the cabinets to off-set the dark flooring. The counter top will have some gold and chocolate brown in it to tie everything together.
In the spirit of home improvement and projects, I had a small project going of my own. We have a long hallway in our house, and we recently put up a collage of pictures to fill it in. In one of the frames, I collected pictures of our grandparents when they were young and our own families when Tim and I were growing up, and put together a sort of family "tree." I think it turned out really well and will be something special for us to treasure.
5 comments:
You guys, this looks GREAT! We have carpet in our master bathroom (ick), and have been talking about putting in some kind of stone or tile but were discouraged by the cost. Maybe when you come for a vacay Tim and Tony can have a little man project?! :-) (no, I'm just kidding)...
I love the dark brushed metal fixtures and the paint. You did an excellent job!
Oooh, and I'm inspired to do a family tree collage like that one for our hallway too!
The bathroom looks great! Way to go Tim & Stephanie. I LOVE the photo project too. I might have to make one of my own.
You da man, Tim! Way to cheer him on and to team up to get it done, Steph. You guys have completely transformed that house and made it your own, for sure. Love you! DAD (Rodes)
All of the projects look great! I'm quite impressed (not that I expected anything less out of you two)!!
Tim, What is this with you and Bren. Both tackling major bathroom re-do's at the same time!? Beautiful job!!
Post a Comment